Latest

A fond farewell to a dream

By Todd Fuqua

In years past, I’ve seen men and women in what I would consider “dream jobs” – coaching big-time college or professional teams, CEOs of major corporations, publishers of major newspapers – leaving and citing their reasons for doing it as “family concerns.”

I never really understood those decisions then. In my mind, they had made it! They were successful! In some cases, they were doing the type of job I desperately wanted! How could they possibly be unhappy?

Now I’ve had a dream job – the dream of owning my own business and writing about what I want – for four years as the head of FuquaSports and FuquaMedia, publishing stories that I’ve been passionate about.

The passion hasn’t died, but the realities of life have risen and now I must say goodbye to this dream.

This issue of Academics In Motion is the last publication to be printed by Fuqua Media.

I’m a one-man band here. I’ve written almost every word, taken almost every photo, sold and built almost every ad, and I’ve distributed every one of these magazines by hand after driving to Santa Fe monthly to pick them up from the Santa Fe New Mexican.

The business isn’t losing money – I could conceivably keep doing this for the rest of my life. But it isn’t enough for me to be comfortable, either. I’m finding it hard to provide for my family.

I have to give a huge thanks to all those who believed in me and supported me these past four years:

• My parents, who always knew their boy would grow up to do something great.

• All the sponsors who purchased ads both in these magazines and on my websites. Without you, this would never have been sustainable.

• Members of the community who saw what I was doing and got it, who understood what I was trying to do. I saw a need and tried to fill it.

• Above all else, I must thank my wife, Anna, who convinced me to start this in January of 2014 and cheered me on as I tried to make it fly. She’s always been by my side through thick and thin, and I wouldn’t be anywhere good without her.

It’s painful to end this, sure, but I’ve already made peace with it. I look forward to what the future will bring for me, and I’m hoping sometime, down the road, I might get the opportunity to do this kind of thing again, for the wonderful community of Ruidoso and Lincoln County.

14 Comments on A fond farewell to a dream

1. Gaeen & Pete Ienatsch // June 18, 2018 at 11:22 am // Reply

Best of luck in whatever you do. We’ve enjoyed your coverage, especially when our grandson was involved in sports in Capitan.

2. James Weems // June 18, 2018 at 4:13 pm // Reply

Thanks, Todd, for your effort in covering the youth of Lincoln county. Not only have you done a terrific job with our area athletic programs, but you’ve given us a great look at what’s been happening in the halls and classrooms of our schools. Your efforts will be missed. Best wishes!
    Coach Weems
    Capitan High School football and baseball

3. Thanks for all that you’ve done, Todd, and especially for remembering that small schools are important too!

4. Jack L. Stevens // June 18, 2018 at 5:22 pm // Reply

Todd, you were a great friend growing up in Portales, and I’ve always looked forward to your reporting, when I could find it, since I moved away from Rudioso 3 1/2 years ago. Best of luck my friend. Jack L. Stevens

5. Thank you, Todd, for covering all of our kids at Corona Schools. You did an amazing job. Best wishes and blessings on your new adventures, I am sure what lies ahead for you and your family is going to be awesome.

6. Coleen Widell // June 18, 2018 at 7:06 pm // Reply

You provided such a valuable service for Lincoln County. I am going to miss your enthusiastic reports. Good luck on the next adventure!

7. Good luck on your future endeavors Todd. I’ve always enjoyed your articles and appreciate your professionalism. I know you will continue to be a positive influence on those around you and you will be successful.

8. Tara Jones // June 18, 2018 at 10:16 pm // Reply

Best of luck Todd and thank you for your support and coverage.

9. Jason GIbbs // June 19, 2018 at 5:48 am // Reply

Good luck, Todd. You did a great job filling a niche that really needed the coverage. It’s a hard, hard road and you drove it well.

10. Karen Roach // June 19, 2018 at 6:56 am // Reply

Good luck Todd, thanks for ALL your hardwork and dedication!!! See you around and may you be blessed always. ~Karen

11. Ellen Hightower // June 19, 2018 at 7:00 am // Reply

Thank you Todd for your faithfulness and hard work. We have loved reading and watching your sports coverage over the years. Best of luck and God Bless your new adventure!

12. Cynthia Powers // June 19, 2018 at 10:14 am // Reply

You will be missed. Your words and pictures will be missed.

13. Scott Fuqua // June 28, 2018 at 11:34 am // Reply

Well I for one think it’s about time.

Just kidding. I’m probably more disappointed than you about the decision because the idea – providing coverage for schools and kids who aren’t getting it – is such a great one. I know it turned out that the economics didn’t work very well, but I had always envisioned expansion to provide coverage to small town athletics (and now academics as well) all across the State of New Mexico. That may be an idea who’s time has not yet come, and I’m going to continue pushing it on you long past the point at which it has become apparent that you don’t want to hear it from me anymore.

So while I had no children playing sports in Lincoln County for you to cover, I have always been proud of both your efforts in getting this off the ground and of the quality of reporting you provided. I look forward to someday helping you with the relaunch.

14. Gilbert Alvarado, Lieutenant Colonel, US Army Retired // June 29, 2018 at 10:43 pm // Reply

Todd, I recall your moments in the Ruidoso Varsity Baseball Dugout crosswalking my scorebook with your electronic pad. Former Head Varsity Baseball Coach Gilbert Alvarado and myself always looked forward to your stories in reference to the Ruidoso Boys Varsity baseball games. Winning District for the first time in school history; twice going to the state final championship games – you were there. Thanks. Good luck in your future endeavors. You covered a lot of territory to please a lot of people.